[TriLUG] Looking for a good laptop for development

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Nov 18 11:25:26 EST 2018

I agree with Wes.  1024 x 768 was the de facto standard circa 1992, when monitors were 4:3 and XGA ruled, though it was commonly called SVGA.  Nowadays, 16:9 widens that old resolution to 1366.  Systems in the era of 4K TV shouldn’t be any smaller than 1080p, IMHO.

<rant>
What I find maddening is how we can’t arbitrarily scale the displays, or even better, displays can’t auto-scale so 72 point text is 1 inch tall.  The graphics engine -- XOrg or Wayland -- can tell how big the monitor is physically (it’s usually in the EDID), knows the resolution of the display, and can do the math.  XOrg/Wayland is sitting on top of a GPU, a floating point engine that is purpose-built for transforming graphics, the most boring transformation being scaling.  And yet, Gnome in Fedora 29 *still* only supports 100% and 200% scaling, as if floating point math hasn’t been invented yet.

Resolution should make graphics and text sharper, physical screen size should be the real estate.
</rant>

jf