[TriLUG] How to get to text terminal when Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't work?

shay walters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Dec 17 17:30:15 EST 2018

    For what it's worth, I have a similar problem.  I use a wireless
Logitech K700 as my primary keyboard and it has NO function keys shown,
even with a "Fn" modifier.   I keep a regular wired USB keyboard handy (in
fact, I usually leave it connected and set it down on the floor along the
wall) just for that reason, so I can try to get to a terminal when the
system gets wonky.
     Admittedly, sometimes even the wired keyboard is of no use, but it's
one more possible entry point.  I use the Caps-Lock LED as my basic sanity
test for the keyboard.   If the Caps-Lock key doesn't toggle the Caps-Lock
LED, I don't waste time trying to do anything else with the wired keyboard
and just hold down the power switch.  On occasion, when the CAPS-Lock LED
toggles, even if I can't get to a terminal, I can still do the
CTRL-ALT-SysReq thing.  Bit it's a rarity that that works when CTRL-ALT-F1
doesn't.
    Now that I've changed from using pcmanfm to using caja for my file
manager, pretty much all of my lockups are video-related.   I'm using the
proprietary Nvidia driver with a fairly long-in-the-tooth video card, so
I'm pretty sure my problems originate with that driver.

-Shay