[TriLUG] How to get to text terminal when Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't work?

Kenneth Parker via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Dec 17 23:07:47 EST 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:05 PM Nathan Yinger  wrote:

<snip>

The question is how do I get around that limitation? Is there another way
> to switch between GUI and text? I could start in text mode, but I also want
> to have a web browser on it, so if I switch to GUI to use the browser how
> would I get back to text mode?

Since I need to learn this now, I found a link:

https://linux.m2osw.com/boot-command-line-console-ubuntu-1604-and-newer

 The parts I like are two commands to issue to SystemD:

After this, the next Reboot will go to a Text Terminal.

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

And after THIS one, the next Reboot will go back to the Display Manager.

sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target

When you are in a Text only Screen, the Display Manager may be manually
brought up, using the command:

sudo systemctl start graphical.target

(Note:  I did an older equivalent (prior to SystemD) of booting my System,
first into Text Mode (to do Apt-Get Maintenance, usually), but then would,
quite happily enter the command to start Lightdm (the one I was using at
the time.  Still popular).

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Kenneth Parker