[TriLUG] recent "Poor Reputation Sender" bounces

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 20 08:12:53 EDT 2019

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019, ac via TriLUG wrote:

> "Sender Rejected" Could mean anything, it is not a "standard" or even a
> thing as it relates to general abuse management.

isn't it wonderful

> In terms of email servers, and email relay, it "could" be a bounce message and
> have a number, for example 550, etc.
>
> As far as abuse management is concerned, there are many "Sender
> Example" things that are related, such as "Sender Verify", for example.
>
> So... As far as the SenderScore proprietary system is concerned, it
> looks like they harvest/buy/receive/generate/produce/share/etc some
> email logs from wherever and then apply that "data" to what they call
> "Sender Rejected" - It may be that Pilot at one/any stage rejected
> email from SenderScore or a senderscore paying service/cleint/whatever
> it may mean that a sender verify failed it may mean so many things
> and/or nothing....

:-(

> Unfortunately, as it is a mystery and as SenderScore is proprietary,
> and as their is no standard or even proper information the best
> resolution I have found for clients in the past is to pay them money.

it's wonderful how this free (as in libre) system so many people have created
has been turned into walled gardens to make money for someone else.

> Paying them money solves the "reputation" problem so quickly...
>
> Pilot is not sending spam, as I cannot find any public reported abuse
> recently, so this is yet another example, for myself, that proves that
> SenderScore is filled with false positives, fake or old dated data and
> is basically not useful or suited for use in production email servers...

well it's resulting in earthlink rejecting e-mails from pilot. It not like we're
going to convince earthlink to use someone else.

Is there a solution to this for TriLUG or do I have to start using gmail?

So far I have 3 people I can't send to from trilug

o 554 208.79.82.66 has a poor reputation on Cloudmark Sender Intelligence
(CSI) http://csi.cloudmark.com/reset-request/?ip=208.79.82.66

o 550 IP 208.79.82.66 is blocked by EarthLink. Go to earthlink.net/block for
details.

o 550 csi.mimecast.org Poor Reputation Sender. - https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550

It's a bit of a maze of mirrors at the moment. I don't know if the information
to block us is coming from one place or if these three systems have decided
independantly to block us.

thanks

Joe
jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml