[TriLUG] OT: comms inside a corrugated metal building

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 15 08:58:47 EDT 2019

For two years I was my next door neighbor's ISP, building and running a
link between our two houses from a two way satellite link (with the
vendor's blessing). What a colossal pain in the ass. I ended up with six
bridges before I found a pair that happened to work 24/7. If you don't
have line of sight consider what happens when it rains on the trees. If
you go this route, use decent equipment and go straight to a pair of
parabolic dish antennas or decent yagis: give yourself a TON of headroom
with the signal as a hedge against heavy rain. Then ask yourself how
hard it would be to rent a ditch witch and run direct burial CAT5!!!

-Pete