[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 7 16:57:27 EDT 2020

The mention of consolekit jumped out at me because of a "news" item in
the Gentoo update I did recently: https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-i
tems/2020-04-14-elogind-default.html

"ConsoleKit2 is unmaintained upstream for more than two years [2].
There are many longstanding bugs and papercuts with consumers that
aren't being fixed, not least because these code paths receive very
little testing."

As a result, they are removing it and using elogind instead and it is
recommended that you remove consolekit support via the use flags when
you compile or update your system.