[TriLUG] Linux home directory management is about to undergo major change

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 7 20:19:22 EDT 2020

On Thu, 07 May 2020 16:57:27 -0400
Matt Flyer via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> The mention of consolekit jumped out at me because of a "news" item in
> the Gentoo update I did recently:
> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-i
> tems/2020-04-14-elogind-default.html
>
> "ConsoleKit2 is unmaintained upstream for more than two years [2].
> There are many longstanding bugs and papercuts with consumers that
> aren't being fixed, not least because these code paths receive very
> little testing."
>
> As a result, they are removing it and using elogind instead and it is
> recommended that you remove consolekit support via the use flags when
> you compile or update your system.

Bless Gentoo! They created eudev to protect init choice, and as this
article pointed out, they are maintaining a version of systemd's
tightly integrated logind that's been decoupled from systemd.

I think this is a good example of how systemd sabotages its
"competitors". In the cases of both udev and consolekit, people had to
materially change or rewrite complex system software. It's not
something the average user or even the average developer can do, so it
has quite a chilling effect on alternate inits.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist