[TriLUG] In search of the right hardware: efficent storage edition

Jack Hill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Nov 17 13:10:06 EST 2020

Greetings,

Inspired by the recent threads [0][1][2][3] about hardware, I'd like to
share my quest to find the right devices for me.

Some years ago, my household herd of computing boxen consisted of a legacy
non x86 systems of various stripes from turn of the millennium. They
included both workstations and rack mount servers. I had a lot of fun with
them. In fact, I suspect that there was more fun to be had, but as those
systems became longer in the tooth, the Free Software community's interest
waned, and I traveled through life's changes, I decided to part ways and
look for something that was quieter and less energy intensive to run.

Given the age of those systems, I wasn't too worried about computing
power, but I did want something that could support four or more disks. A
promising option appeared to be GnuBee PC-1 [4]. Having no fans, it was
certainly quiet. However, being based on an embedded router
system-on-chip, it is best supported by embedded router distributions, and
I wanted to run the same system that I run elsewhere, which is currently
GNU Guix. A Guix port isn't out of the question, but that's a longer term
project, and the supply of more capable MIPS systems for development is
poor.

However, I've recently found another computer that looks like it will fit
the bill for me. It's the Ten64[5], which is an 8-core aarch64 system with
pcie with a 10W typical power consumption for the SoC. 32 GiB memory is
more than I'm used to, but given that my daily use computer, and old
ThinkPad (hopefully soon to be replaced with a Reform [6]), is memory
constrained that could be nice. A downside is that the networking requires
non-free firmware. However, the documentation of the system seems nice, so
I'm optimistic. Their crowdfunding campaign wraps up in a couple of days.
They're over 90% of the way there, so I hope they make it!

I hope you enjoyed this tale. I'm happy to entertain any thoughts or
suggestions for systems that I've overlooked.

[0] https://trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20201019/079779.html
[1] https://trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20201116/079834.html
[2] https://trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20201109/079826.html
[3] https://trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20201102/079820.html