[TriLUG] Distro choice for desktop

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 23 06:08:11 EDT 2021

So, I found out I did not properly install Ubuntu on my desktop and it
is time to wipe and reinstall. I was thinking of starting with their
server and adding the windows manager I like and any other software I
need. Naive as I am, I decided to ask in the #ubuntu irc channel for
help specially regarding the dual screen and windows manager package
names I got this as a reply:

(05:25:53 AM) alkisg: raub: that's what a desktop environment
maintainer does; he finds out the programs needed for that
(05:26:03 AM) alkisg: E.g. you'll need dbus-daemon, ssh-agent,
policykit-agent etc to avoid various tasks from failing
(05:26:31 AM) alkisg: So... you'll either need to learn about all
these  low-level things, or you'd just use the premade desktop iso :)

I guess it is time to consider the options. Goal is to have an
installation with as little cruft as I can. Ideally, start from a
minimalistic install and then add the windows manager and the other
programs I need (the usual crap: 4+ different browsers, NFS, wifi that
does say it cannot support my wifi card). It also needs to work with
Zoom because unfortunately I need that for work.

Candidates:

Centos: Nope. I like the people in the #centos channel (not as
condescending as the ubuntu and specially fedora), but centos will
cease to exist in December.
Fedora: Nope. My condescending quota has been filled thankyouverymuch.
Debian: I never pictured it as  desktop, but hey
Suse: Calling Dwaine. Dwaine needed on Aisle 5.
lubuntu: I have used it before. What kind of support does it have? Its
irc channel is rather not popular.
Mint: never used
???