[TriLUG] Distro choice for desktop

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Oct 24 09:05:23 EDT 2021

I'll second that... I've run KDE here for going on 20 years now and it's
still probably my favorite desktop operating system. It has all the
underlying functionality and stability of Ubuntu and is very
configurable to your individual tastes. The KDE development team does a
great job of making sure that the KDE LTS releases are rock solid. For
the more adventurous users who want to use all the latest KDE software,
try KDE NEON. I use it on my laptop and for a leading edge O/S, it is
pretty stable.

Now should you want even more stability, at the minor cost of being a
bit a little behind the development curve, try Mint with the Cinnamon
desktop.

As previous posters have mentioned, all of these are available as live
distros. So it's easy enough to download a copy of each and try it out
on your machine before committing to one.

Take care,
Bill