[TriLUG] Distro choice for desktop

vikram sai balaji ulaganathan via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Oct 24 10:27:25 EDT 2021

Other options I have tried are
1. Linux from scratch: if you want to go beyond Gentoo. But a nightmare
when it comes to package management. If you want to have a custom os in my
case I just needed the os for gpu render.
2. Arch Linux: good support and quite stable
3. Guix : new concept but a headache when it comes to customization and
even finding the application location if you are not a good programmer
which I am not.

In these cases I have followed this link for my use cases i.e. depending on
which machine I use I change window manager and software. E.g. I use
ratpoison for small machine with xrdp/vnc while xmonad or i3 for daily use.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/l3net.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops-part-3/amp/
I have seen Ubuntu/Debian to be the most stable.

Bsds are also quite good